For the opening of the Ashover Light Railway in 1925, four carriages were supplied to the Clay Cross Company, being built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co.
Their construction followed street tramway practice, being fitted with that style of longitudinal seats in two saloons, separated by a partition with a sliding door. There were six droplight windows in each side and two in each end vestibule. The main saloons seated forty persons and tip-up seats in each vestibule could accommodate up to three extra passengers.
The bodies were carried on a pair of ex. WD two foot gauge bogies. These were taken from "D" class WD wagons purchased by the Clay cross Company as WD 1st World War surplus.
After the initial opening, passenger traffic was brisk, but soon started to drop off. It was later found that a single carriage would suffice for most of the services. The passenger ceased in 1936.
The carriages were stored at Clay Cross under cover in the carriage shed. At the start of the Second World War No's 1, 2 and 3 were removed to Clay Cross works and used for storage and a canteen. No. 4 languished in the carriage shed.
However in 1952 the three carriages in the works were removed to the company sports ground, where they used as stands. In 1953 carriage No 4 was moved from the shed and set up along the side of the bowling green. It remained there in the company of the "Where The Rainbow Ends" cafe, until the Golden Valley Light Railway at Butterley was successful in securing it for preservation. It is now stored awaiting restoration to original condition, in the GVLR Running Shed at Swanwick Junction.