This loco is considered to be the oldest working diesel locos, with its original engine in the country.
It was delivered new to the Buttermere Green Slate Quarries in Cumberland. and was returned to the German manufacturers for repair (possibly reconditioning) in 1939 and arrived back at the quarry a month before the outbreak of war. The loco is powered by a single cylinder two-stroke 12HP engine.
|Works No -||10249|
|Engine -||Deutz PME117 single cylinder Diesel|
|Power -||11.8hp at 750rpm|
|Weight -||c2.5 Tons|
|Road Speed -||5 MPH|
It is fitted with a 2-stroke crankcase scavenged, reed valve, single cylinder water cooled Deutz true Diesel engine of just over 2 litres displacement, which has a separate combustion chamber, with a hot-spot provided by burning saltpetre soaked paper to provide a source of ignition during starting.
The engine has a total loss lubrication system, supplied by a pump with sight feeds to the various bearings. Fuel control is by a variable profile cam, which slides axially under the control of the flywheel mounted governor. The hand brake is rather unusually worked by an over centre lever, volute suspension springs carry the weight of the loco, and the whole makes an interesting contrast with the more usual British locos preserved on the railway.